This Adobe Captivate Widget was created based on a request in the Adobe Forum – http://forums.adobe.com/thread/535691?tstart=0
This widget will allow you to send an email in the background to a predefined address. It will send an email once the widget is “played” on the Captivate timeline.
It will send an email with the subject “Mail sent from Captivate e-mail Widget” and it will send you the users name. (of course the user needs to enter his name in Captivate).
It relies on the widely available CGI / Perl script FormMail (www.formmail.com). This is a free open source script that is pre-installed on many webhosts.
If you don’t have this installed on your webserver you can install it yourself by following the instructions located here: http://www.scriptarchive.com/formmail.html
The widget has two paramenters that needs to be set.
- THe recipient email address. The default settings in the FormMail script dictates that this must be an email on the same domain as from the the script is exectuted. In other words – if I use the widget in an Adobe Captivate project located on my domain www.cpguru.com it can only send emails to email@example.com.This functionality can be changed in the FormMail settings if needed so you can define more allowed domains to send email to.
- The location of the FormMail script on your webserver. The location is usually something like http://www.domain.com/cgi-bin/FormMail.pl but that depends on how and where your Webhost installed it (if it’s preinstalled) or where you installed it yourself. Also keep in mind that cpguru.com and www.cpguru.com are technically two separate domains so make sure you have the correct path for your own domain.
How to use the Email Widget for Adobe Captivate:
First of all ensure that you have FormMail installed on your Webserver and that it is working.
The only requirements that the widget have is the two parameters mentioned above and a variable called v_email that needs to be set in Captivate.
Process in Captivate:
- Create a user defined variable called v_email
- Create a Text Entry Box and associate the v_email variable with that.
- Insert the widget in Captivate anywhere after the Text Entry Box.
- Define the two parameters in the Widget Parameters Tab
- That’s it.
Now you will receive an email everytime someone accesses your Captivate course. The email will contain the following information:
Below is the result of your feedback form. It was submitted by
() on Friday, December 18, 2009 at 10:37:38
In case you do not recieve an email then chances are that the error is with the FormMail script (or the link to the location of the script). I cannot provide support on anything FormMail related so I recommend that you look at http://www.scriptarchive.com/formmail.html where everything in regards to the FormMail script is described in detail.
Download the Email Widget:
Here is the link to download the widget.AS2 E-mail Widget for Adobe Captivate (1451 downloads)
The download package also contains a sample Captivate project. The FormMail script is not supplied due to license restrictions, but you can download it yourself for free on http://www.formmail.com/
Please note – the widget is supplied as is. The widget worked flawlessly in all my tests, but this is no guarantee that it will work for you.